Sunday, December 6, 2009

Countdown to Christmas in the Limelight

I am so excited to be the Guest Designer this month at Limelight....thank you so much Mandy!

The project challenge at Limelight was to make a calendar or a countdown project of some kind. I couldn’t stop at just one, so I have 2 projects to share with you today.

The first thing I’d like to share is a calendar project. We had leftover magnetic calendars from 2009 at my work, and they were going to be thrown out. I snagged them and brought them home…knowing I could use them for something! I used some Basic Grey and Cosmo Cricket paper to cover the calendars. I then downloaded a 3 x 5 calendar at http://www.calendarsquick.com/printables/free.html cut them out and put them on the front! Quick and easy calendars to hand out to friends/family. Perfect for the fridge, and with all the Basic Grey/Cosmo Cricket that Mandy has over at LL, there is a color scheme for everyone!













Now I’d like to share my countdown till Christmas project. I’ve been seeing some of these blocks around the internet and thought I’d take a stab at it.

The blocks are 1-1/2” x 1-1/2”. First I cut out some Basic Gray Wassail paper in the sizes I’d need. I then used mod podge to cover my blocks and then put the paper on, then mod podged over the paper. I let that dry and then sanded the edges with a nail file. I then used my soft suede ink pad and a sponge and smeared that on all of the corners….I love that vintage look.

The next step took some thinking, and that was figuring out what numbers needed to go onto each block. I eventually found it on the internet (didn’t save the link though to give credit)….anyways….on 1 block you need 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, and on the other block you need 0, 1, 2, 7, 8, and 9….make sure you use a 9 that can be used as a 6 also!!! That is very important.

The little wooden holder was also covered with BG Wassail paper….and I used the soft suede to make it look stained…..that was much easier than painting or staining it. I decided to take advantage of my full jar of burgundy buttons and I put them all along the top. I am just tickled to death with how this turned out. The sentiment on the front was computer generated.








Make sure to stop by the other design team members blogs to check out their projects for today!

Christi
Amy
Lisa A.
Lisa H.
JenMarie
Ryann

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today!

Pin It

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome projects Julie. I love how you reused the magnets from your work. What a great idea!

Lisa A.

JenMarie said...

Um...WOW girlie! Fabulousness!!

Amy said...

Absolutely love both of these projects!!!

Anonymous said...

Cute stuff Julie! I'm really loving the blocks - I'm a sucker for projects using lots of buttons :)

JayLynn said...

Oh my goodness these are both amazing!! I especially love your countdown project, it's terrific!!

Janice M said...

Love the recycled calender's!

Lisa H. said...

SHUT UP! 2 projects-you over achiever, lol!JK! love the block, countdown thingy! great paper choices. glad to have you join us this month!